Monday, August 23, 2010

I am Thankful for Calm in the Storm

I have always loved rain. There is nothing better than a good thunder storm. I have been in a couple of hurricanes and found them strangely soothing. Admittedly, I have never been in a storm that did significant damage to the place where I was or injured my loved ones. There is something about the power within creation that makes me feel close to the Creator.

Emotional, mental, relational, social storms are another matter. Of late, Cheryl and I have had our share of riding the psychological rollercoaster. We’ve been sitting on a family secret – the good kind. We’ve been caught up in some surprises by God – the “what’s He up to” kind. We’ve been caught up in the issue of women in leadership in the Church of God – exalted as heroes by some and slandered as “educated idiots” by others. I could, but won’t, continue this list with some other things that consume our attention. The sum is that we have been living in an emotional storm, not the we’re depressed or manic kind of storm. Rather, it’s like life is swirling around our heads.

In the midst of all that is I have had a strange calmness. There is one issue I wish would be resolved quickly; I’ve been waiting years for some closure. Other situations signal new beginnings, actual and potential. In all of it I feel like I am in the eye of the storm. Everything is blowing in the wind and disasters are imminent, but all is well. Nothing can touch me that is not orchestrated by God for my good.

Cleveland, Tennessee
August 23, 2010
JDJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is there a new grand baby on the way?!!