Thursday, April 1, 2010

I am Thankful for Little Blessings

I put my motorcycle in the shop yesterday for new tires, an oil change and a safety inspection. I was told to expect it next Tuesday. They called this afternoon and said I could pick it up today. When I got there the total price was about $80 less than I expected. Those are extremely small blessings, but they are the kind that can lift my spirits in weary times.

I have found that the joy connected with little blessings is often tied to other things, other hopes and possibilities. Getting my bike back early means Cheryl and I can go for a ride one day over this long weekend. Another little blessing is that the weather this weekend is going to be beautiful, perfect for riding. Little blessings are linked.

In the end, there are no little blessings. All blessings flow from God and express His love for us. The challenge is to recognize all of God’s gifts and celebrate them not because of how they connect to our desires but because of how they express the eternal goodness and righteous character of God. When we recognize God’s presence in all of the good that comes into our lives we are actually embracing the greatest gift of all, God Himself. There are no little blessings. “Count your blessings” is not as quaint as it once sounded to me.

P.S. for those who are following this blog, I know I missed yesterday. I was not feeling well when I got home last night. I am thankful God understands.

Cleveland, Tennessee
April 1, 2010
JDJ

No comments: