Sunday, October 17, 2010

I am Thankful for the Completion of a Hard Week

I have fallen way behind in my task of blogging about thankfulness. Unexpected changes to my Doctor of Ministry class consumed my energies for the past couple of weeks. Last week Cheryl and I taught our D.Min. course, “Leading Worship and Discipleship.” I found it quite enjoyable as usual. These are students are experienced in ministry who come together with a lot of insight to share. We met from 8 to 5 Monday through Thursday, including having lunch.

We also taught our regular schedule of classes. We covered for each other during regular hours. For me that meant teaching from 8 A.M. to 8:30 P.M. on Thursday. We also had other responsibilities. On Tuesday I had a community meeting until 8 P.M. On Wednesday evening I had to catch up on my taxes. On Friday I completed my taxes and worked outside. Yesterday, I worked outside in the morning, we went to a wedding in the afternoon, and I did the bulletin and worked on my sermon in the evening. Today was church. I preached in the morning and evening I taught on our Declaration of Faith.

Okay, that’s my set of excuses. I’ve been too busy to write about being thankful. But, I have been thankful. The class went well. My community meeting went well. My taxes went very well (if the IRS agrees). God blessed in our morning worship. I preached on “The Hope of Heaven.” We rejoiced and tarried in the altar.

After the service I was talking with “the trinity,” three of our older, close-knit teenage girls. One of them I assisted in her parent’s wedding almost 20 years ago and Cheryl and I were at the hospital for her birth and we dedicated her. The oldest has been in our church for six or eight years and is now a college freshman. The third has been at New Covenant for three or four years. It has really been a joy to watch them mature in life and in their walk with God. Some time back they told me I couldn’t retire or leave New Covenant until I performed there weddings. Today, they informed me I couldn’t retire or die until after they died. I made no promises and I pointed out that when they reached sixty I would be a hundred. Never-the-less, I pray I never let them down and I am thankful to be their pastor.

Cleveland, Tennessee
October 17, 2010
JDJ

No comments: