Thursday, February 11, 2010

I am Thankful For Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

Everybody has their comfort food. Mine is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I am a little picky about how it’s made, so much so I won’t waste my time eating one made by someone else except when social mores require it. The PB must be smooth and there must be the proper ratio of peanut butter to jelly. Some people apply the peanut butter like its mortar and they are building the Great Wall of China. Others are stuck in the Great Depression and spread the PB so thin a blue tick hound couldn’t find it.

As for the jelly it needs to be two to three times as thick as the PB depending on the type of jelly, flavor verses texture. The stronger the flavor of the jelly the thinner it needs to be spread. However, the greater the texture the more thick it should be, jams on thick, jellies on thin, balance the flavor and the texture. Typically, I prefer whole wheat bread, but on occasion I like white just for old time’s sake. (White-bread PB & J requires a glass of cold milk to wash it down.)

I love PB. It is a product of the south. It was invented by an African American, George Washington Carver, born into slavery in 1864 and one of the greatest minds of his time. Just the story of Carver adds to the pleasure of PB.

Did I mention it’s quick and easy to clean up afterwards. What more could I ask for at the end of a long hard day. OK, I can think of a few things, but not many when I’m home alone.

Cleveland, Tennessee
February 11, 2010
JDJ

2 comments:

Phil Hoover said...

NOW YOU'RE TALKING! Yes, and make sure that jam is either Strawberry, Raspberry, or Blackberry. (Apricot will do in a pinch).

Kimberly Jean said...

Smooth peanut butter (Peter Pan for me) with grape jelly on white bread. YUM! And there is something about one that has "sat" for a little while...perhaps it is reminiscent of taking them for lunch as a child.