Monday, June 7, 2010

I am Thankful for a Long Day of Manual Labor

I was suppose to have traveled to Virginia today to spend the night with Alethea and her family before traveling on to New York to spend a few days with Cheryl. However, the hay I ordered wasn’t delivered on time and I had to delay my trip. I made the best use of my time.

Early in the day I replace a drive belt on my lawn mower. It was quite a job. As I have written, I love my zero turn mower but it wasn’t designed for easy repairs. Later I went out and purchased a thousand pounds of fertilizer. After changing the implements on the tractor I loaded the fertilizer and distributed it over my pasture. The hay arrived and I changed the implements back, put hay out for the cows and put the remainder in the barn. Finally, I mowed the grass. I finished my outside chores a little after nine, came in and showered.

There are few things I enjoy more than a productive day like today. I had good exercise (lifting a half ton of fertilizer in 50 pound bags was a small part of this). I explored new territories in the vast region of machinery. I solved several problems. I finished some tasks that needed to be done. Surprise of surprises, I didn’t injure myself in any way. It was a glorious day and I am thankful.

Tomorrow will be better. I will get to spend some time with Alethea, Justin, Camdyn, and Charlie.

Cleveland, Tennessee
June 7, 2010
JDJ

No comments: