Monday, July 19, 2010

I am Thankful for Advil

One of the signs a person is approaching membership in the society of the wise is aches and pains in the morning. The wisdom that comes with age is birthed in necessity. I must get out of bed; How can I do it with the least amount of pain? The trick is to roll in a seamless motion that plants the feet facing the bed allowing the hands to be used to assist the final upward move. I must walk to the bathroom; How can I loosen the bones in my feet without tapping into some nerve that has been awake all night planning how the send an electrical shock upward through my larger extremities? I’m still working on that one.

The fear of the Lord may be the beginning of wisdom, but the fear of pain follows close behind. The sign a person has arrived as a full-fledged member in the kingdom of Sophia is surrender to the inevitable and finding an Ebenezer to fight the battle for you. My helper of choice is Advil. I don’t need them every night but I do take a prophylactic dose on the days I have been physically active. It doesn’t eliminate the morning pain, but it does allow for a good night’s sleep which makes facing the realities of longevity more tolerable.

I’m on vacation with my grand-children; I need Advil and I am thankful for it.

Saint George Island
July 19, 2010
JDJ

No comments: