Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I am Thankful for Good, Long Term Friends

We are blessed this evening to have Stanley Lane join us on St. George Island. Stanley is one of our longest-term and dearest friends. We first met him in the late 70’s when he came from southern Georgia to Minot, North Dakota to study at Northwest Bible College where we taught. He stayed with us our last summer there. When we settled in Cleveland in 1984 Stanley was there studying at our seminary. He was a part of New Covenant during the early days. Eventually Stanley moved closer to his family and resides in Dothan, Alabama where he is a respiratory therapist.

There is a lot that could be said about Stanley but I will limit myself to the simple statement that he is a true friend. We have walked with him through some difficult times and he has been there as our support in hard times as well. I trust him without reservation. I know that if I needed anything at his disposal he would not withhold it. He knows how to celebrate the blessings of others and weep in the sorrows of others. He is engaging and compassionate with all ages, races, and classes of people.

This evening he went outside to play Frisbee with Camdyn, Charlie and myself. He pleaded their case to play on the beach and get their feet wet. As we walked back across the boardwalk Camdyn drew close and whispered to me “I like him, he talks with us.” I can’t think of a greater complement than to be liked by a child because he or she recognizes your genuine interest in them.

Saint George Island, Florida
July 20, 2010
JDJ

No comments: