Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I am Thankful for Peanut

As everyone knows by now, Karisa is pregnant. She told us shortly after she found out but made us promise to keep the secret. These little surprises in life are always distinct. When Alethea was pregnant with Camdyn I fretted through the entire nine months. It was like reliving Cheryl’s pregnancy with her only worse. There is a lot that can go wrong in a pregnancy. Both as a first time parent and then grandparent I focused on the negative. I braced myself for the possible crises. Everything went well. It was a little stressful with Charlie, but no problems. I can do this father of the mother-to-be thing.

Then there is Karisa. She is our baby having a baby. I had wondered how I would deal with this since she got married or before. I assumed it would be difficult. But when we heard the news my thoughts were “this is Karisa we’re talking about; She can do anything.” I know there is the possibility of complications. I have been a pastor too long, consoled too many couples, to live in denial. I also have my own life experiences.

When Cheryl got pregnant with Karisa I had an assurance from God that she would be born healthy and she would be a girl. I just knew it. I can’t say I have had any words about Peanut. I have had a calm assurance God is at work and His grace is sufficient. I pray often the same prayer I prayed for Alethea and Karisa and all unborn children. “God may this baby be born healthy and whole to grow up to know You and love You and serve You with all of his or her heart.”

Maybe it is my season in life, maybe it is having been through this several times before, maybe it is a special gift of grace, maybe I have extended the Divine assurance about Karisa to Karisa’s baby. I don’t know. What I do know is I have been less stressed with this pregnancy, more relaxed, and just plain happy about it.

I am happy for Karisa and Johnmark. I am happy for my entire family; we all celebrate this child. I am happy about another promise of God’s life-giving presence. In all of this joy I am thankful to the Creator and Sustainer of all for His gift.

Cleveland, Tennessee
September 1, 2010
JDJ

No comments: