Thursday, December 16, 2010

I am Thankful for the Blessings of 2010: #3 -- Trip to New York

[As the year comes to an end, I am listing a few of the things that happened during 2010 for which I am most thankful. The list is not in order of significance.]

I am thankful for the few days I spent with Cheryl in New York in June. We have been blessed to travel around the world, Cheryl more than I. We have been together in Italy, twice, in England, Mexico, and in Canada. In The USA we have been together in Seattle, Los Angelis, Milwaukee, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, Indianapolis, and a host of other places. Virtually all of these trips have been for business.

When we travel we usually plan to spend a few extra days relaxing and seeing the sights. We plan poorly. Or, to be fair, there are always pressing engagements back at home that require us to go and come as quickly as possible. We use to say we were going to write a series of travel guides based on our experiences: “Venice in a Morning,” “London in a Day,” “Toronto in an Afternoon,” “Washington, D.C. Between Rush Hours,” etc.

I cannot recall a time when we have been in a city and felt free to see the things we wanted to see at the pace we desired. Cheryl’s sabbatical leave in New York City afforded that opportunity. I am not suggesting that we saw more than a small portion of that mega-polis; I am simply stating we toured the city, and saw many significant historical and cultural sites. The central difference being that we were not rushed. We took our time inhaling the experiences. We saw a Broadway Play (“Fences” with Denzel Washington); we ate at a really nice restaurant; we saw Time Square and the Statue of Liberty; we spent hours in the Metropolitan Museum of Art; we visited with some friends; and we walked, a lot.

New York is now added to the Pantheon of our great getaways as a couple: the cruise, evenings in Venice, driving the countryside of England, and Arizona (plus Zion National Park). The golden years are hopefully still ahead of us, but the silver decades are turning out rather nicely as we wait. I am blessed and I am thankful.

Cleveland, Tennessee
December 16, 2010
JDJ

No comments: