Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I am Thankful for a Good Visit With Thelma

I drove to Greenville today to assist with the funeral of one of our church members, Rev. Faye Whitten. It was a lovely funeral. Doug LeRoy, General Director of World Missions for the Church of God, shared briefly words of appreciation for Faye's ministry as a missionary. I spoke briefly about my honor in being her pastor. Pastor Robert Shepherd (retired), a close friend of Faye, brought the message. It was a wonderful tribute. Several members of the congregation spoke of Faye's impact on their lives. I also gave the closing remarks at the internment.

The cemetary was just ten or twelve miles from the nursing home where Cheryl's mother resides so that I was able to drive over and spend a few minutes with her. One of the nurses took our picture for me. It was a good visit.  She looked well; she was upright and alert.  She spoke with more clarity than I have heard her since last spring, which is not to say she was conversant.  She had complete clauses if not sentences and as you can tell from the picture, she recognized me.  
 
Cleveland to Greenville and Back
December 29, 2010
JDJ

No comments: